Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Texas Manners

  
Bad tire
     Yesterday, when I was driving back to Dave and Courtney's  after I dropped Maxine off at her preschool, I noticed that the Toyota Scion was driving funny.  I pulled into the parking lot for the main post office in Bryan and inspected the tires.  Sure enough, the right front tire was flat and looked damaged.  What to do?  Courtney was home with the baby.  David was in New Jersey.  There's no Les Schwab in Texas.
      First I tried to use the little inflator machine that plugs in the cigarette lighter.  No effect.  I dug deeper into the trunk and found the spare tire.  I noticed that, at 9:30 on a Monday morning, everybody who drove into the post office parking lot seemed to be over 60.  Finally I spied a young man sitting in the passenger seat of a big white truck.  He looked about 14, but he was my only prospect.  I asked if he would help me put the spare tire on.  "Yes, Ma'am!"  He practically leapt from the truck, and got down on the pavement to wrestle the tire off.
    We lacked a  long rod for the jack, made especially for these rims, so the young man jury-rigged a tool using a screw driver and muscle.  He said, "I've been unemployed for a year and a half; done a lot of odd jobs. I like putting  tires on."  He is 18.
  His mother came out of the post office and bought over a tire iron form her truck. "My ex-husband took all the tools, but he left me this tire iron."
     It was taking a long time for the boy to get the tire raised off the ground with his makeshift jack. Meanwhile, I was standing around useless, trying not to be too obvious about seeking shade while his mother brought pieces of tools and offered advice. I worried that I was keeping them from their day.
     "Only thing we got to do is find him a job.  Dairy Queen, McDonald's, whatever.  He' s been living in Houston with my mother and is just today moving here to Bryan with me."
      I was in touch with Courtney, who was calling the USAA road service.   USAA recommended towing.   The young man assured me, "I'm getting it." We held off on the tow truck.
Good tire
   A man in his early thirties drove up and parked his pickup next to us.  The young man asked him if he had a specific tool (foreign language to me.)   Pickup guy brought out several tools, and together they got the old tire off and the spare tire mounted.  The young man grinned and gave me a thumbs up.  The whole process had taken about an hour.
     I gave the young man money (which he accepted), but pickup guy offered him something better.  As they were working and talking, the man with the tools asked, "You  looking for work?"
     "Yes, sir."
     "My brother has the pet shop over in Millican.  You like animals?"
     "Yes, sir."
     "I'm not sure what they need, but you could go and talk to him.  Tell him I sent you.  My name's Justin."
      "Yes, sir!"  Another grin.
The young man's name is Trey McAllister.  I hope he gets  a job.

1 comment:

  1. Saying a prayer for Trey. I do LOVE a good Texas boy!

    ReplyDelete