Saturday, June 29, 2013

Puppies in Eden

Merle Great Dane puppy
Birthday kids
  Many of you have heard  Judy tell stories about the dog of her heart, a merle Great Dane named Sheba. Judy has rarely been without a dog in her life; these past few petless years after the death of our Shih Tzu  have been an aberration.  I  swear that I am willing to have another dog, but Judy has hesitated.  She finally admitted that she doesn't want to burden me with a dog who will live longer than she will.
Lisa
   When Judy and Robert celebrated their mutual birthday, neighbor  Janet astounded us with the present she offered to Judy.  She said, "If you want to get a Great Dane puppy, we will take it when you can no longer take care of it."


    After a night's deliberation, Judy sadly admitted that she cannot physically handle a Great Dane puppy.  Her shortness of breath is getting worse.  The latest CT scan showed a disturbing progression of scarring in the past six months.  Oxygen helps, but bending to care for a big, strong puppy is out of the question.
At Rose's party
       These bright blue June afternoons  in Oregon make me think of  Shakespeare's Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?  The rain has stopped, and  we mark the month with garden parties.    At Rose's party we wore hats.    At Lisa's we celebrated the solstice among her flowers.  I console myself in gardens.  It's a way to return to the garden of Eden, before decline entered our lives.
  
Lisa' garden
  

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Maggie, I'm so sorry. So, shall we come up with a way for Judy to get her dog-breath fix on a regular basis? I know there are therapy dogs who come to visit senior centers and nursing homes, and it's good for both the people and the dogs.

    ReplyDelete