Friday, December 27, 2013

Christmas

Becky at Christmas
Straight tree, crooked stand
    We are Charlie Brown traditionalists at Christmas, Judy and I.  Our tree gets smaller every year, but we still do the traditional wrestling  and struggling to get it straight.  This year, the tree stands straight but the stand is slanted.
    My favorite outdoor tree is no prize, either. We have some magnificent firs and cedars in Oregon, but this is not one of them.  Without its lights, the cedar  outside the Milwaukie City Hall  is one of the homeliest trees around.  Early in December there is a rowdy parade  of revelers carrying umbrellas, and then the tree is lit with great ceremony. It is transformed into a Christmas beacon for drivers on US 99 W, originally known as the Super Highway.  I like to glide down the Super Highway and crane my neck for a glimpse of the homely tree that makes me happy.
Super Highway beacon
Homely tree
    Every year around the 18th of December, I start longing for my family.  I tell Judy, "I just want them close around me, like puppies piling all over each other."  I read children's Christmas picture books  and wish I were reading them to the grandchildren.  Usually, we make do with phone calls and Skype.  But this year, they are here! Almost all of the family is here! This is my happiest Christmas ever.
Homemade ornaments

2 comments:

  1. I had a nice Christmas with my adoptive family who are wonderful. You can see on my blog:
    http://poetrose24.blogspot.com/
    I am glad you keep the magic of Christmas in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky looks so festive! So how is it now, with the family piling all over one another?

    ReplyDelete