Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Old friends in a new place

Kris and Maggie 1966
    When we were teenagers, my sister Rose and I were friends with Kris, John, and John's brother Chas.  Soon Kris married Chas and Rose married John.  A few years later, they all moved across the country to Sequim.  They made their lives on the Olympic Peninsula.  I visited whenever I could.
     Flash forward almost fifty years.  This winter Rose finally persuaded Chas and Kris to vacation for the first time in  Manzanita. Judy and I went, too. We played Petanque (a French form of bocce) on the beach.  The Euchre games started after breakfast and continued into the night.  Judy and I kept watch on the ocean while the others took long bike rides.  Rose and I  walked into town to shop and to support the local bakery.   Kris found the perfect skirt for her daughter-in-law, I found a good toy for Maxine's birthday.  We  looked at the sunsets and the stars, and we ate.
   
   
Maggie, Chas, Kris, Rose, John 2014
Petanque on the beach
      Chas had carved  Judy and me a puzzle for our wedding, and at Manzanita we all put it put together.   The puzzle is made from  John's photo of Judy and me at Manzanita last summer. We are standing beaming amid the tide pools full of starfish. ( I told the story in the  August 22, 2014  post, Chariots of Fire.)  Chas's puzzle has only 110  pieces, but it is not easy to complete.  When he explained his techniques for creating different patterns of cuts, I was grateful that he used his easiest pattern for us.  My favorite part of the puzzle is the way the two heart-shaped pieces are interchangeable.
Two Hearts as One

2 comments:

  1. So cool to have a custom made puzzle! I am glad you all got together. You never know how many more days are left to share with those we love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome, awesome puzzle and what a marvelous time you had. How does that little song go? "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold."

    ReplyDelete