| Display at University of Washington pulmonary clinic |
The good news about Judy's pulmonary fibrosis is that it is progressing very slowly. The bad news is that it is progressing. As Judy's smart pulmonologist says, medical science knows almost nothing about the disease; what causes it, whether it is one disease or many, and especially not how to stop the lungs from scarring. They haven't even found a reliable way to slow down the scarring. The doc said, "We might as well be in the middle ages with this disease. I could prescribe you a course of leeches."
When Judy was diagnosed three and a half years ago, we began to live with the shock of a fatal prognosis. The fibrosis was a cloud over our lives, especially as we thought about the future, but Judy could continue her normal life at almost her normal pace. Now the fatigue, shortness of breath and coughing limit her every day. Taking a shower, for instance, requires her to lie down with oxygen for a good length of time afterwards. Pulmonary fibrosis is beginning to determine how each day will go.
| Becky rides along with Judy's oxygen |
Sometimes, when Judy is knocked out by fatigue and needs oxygen fairly often, there is no event we can pinpoint that triggered the low day. Was it the weather? The change in the weather? The pollen? Were the gods angry? There are days when it is a triumph of the will for Judy to sit up in her recliner all day, when what she really wants is just to curl up in bed. Other days, she can carry on with her music and her breakfasts and lunches with friends. Some weeks she can do the grocery shopping (with good planning); other weeks it is a struggle.
| Public art in Evanston |
We both know that the time will come when we will live with some version of that decline. But not yet, not yet.
Thank you for letting us know how things are going. When someone passes, people say, "If only I had known that it was the last time I would see her, I would have let her have the last cookie." (Or something like that.) Well, we have the blessing of knowing that it's time for Judy to get the cookies. I will grieve her when she's dead, but until then, I will relish her company just as hard as I can.
ReplyDeleteHugs, Maggie. Hugs and prayers.
It is very difficult to watch a loved one slowly decline and know eventually you will lose. them. I well know. I actually lost my husband twice--once with the frontal lobe dementia and then when he finally passed. Now I have all the wonderful memories of the 30 wonderful years of the 36 we spent together. Gather the memory of each day and save them for when the last one comes.
ReplyDeleteThanks,Maggie, for your succinct and touching description of Judy's experience with this powerful disease. As you know, like your friend Rose, dementia has already caused me to lose the Norm who I married nearly 68 years ago, even though he is still here. Our memories are precious to both of us. I have enjoyed knowing that you and Judy are still making warm memories to hold in your hearts in the times ahead. Your wedding, your trips together, the friends and family and doggie visits you share are making you beautiiful memories for later on!
ReplyDelete