Thursday, November 13, 2014

Veterans' day

Our director, John Baker
At the concert
   When the director of the North Clackamas Community Choir said we were going to do a Veterans' Day concert, I didn't hesitate to sign on. My resident veteran is proud of her years in the Air Force, and I have great admiration for the way Judy has lived her life.  However, I suspected that it would be difficult to sing our planned program.
     I spent many years brushing off patriotic music, not wanting to stir any martial feelings in my teenage boys.  The era when I came to political consciousness had an influence on my music preferences, too.  We sang This Land is Your Land, but never, ever God Bless America.  The national anthem was confined to baseball games. ( I still automatically shout the O before "say does that star-spangledangled banner yet wave," in support of the Baltimore Orioles.)
With malice toward none...

      At our first rehearsal, I was stumbling and mumbling.  Finally I blurted out to the conservatively dressed Milwaukie matron sitting next to me, "It's hard for me to say these words." I expected that she would just look at me with polite wariness, but she replied, "Me too!  I'm glad I'm not the only one!"  I concentrated on one selection, called A Just and Lasting Peace, which uses the reconciling words from Lincoln's second inaugural address.
   At the concert, though, I was singing every piece with gusto.  The hall was packed.  I could see Judy rocking and singing along with the medley of Motown tunes that we sang especially for the Vietnam-era vets.  Toward the last, we sang the signature songs for each of the armed services.  The veterans from each branch stood when their anthem started, and the crowd clapped and clapped.  I had a hard time with the very easy alto parts, because I was so focused on the proud faces of the veterans.
    A few veterans come to the free food pantry where I occasionally volunteer.  They wait patiently for an hour or two until it is their turn to "shop" the aisles of canned beef stew and tuna helper.  My favorites are Stan and Red, who served in the Korean war.  Each one is "shopping" for two; I assume they have sick wives at home.  They tease and joke with each other about who makes the worse selections of groceries, and who is the worse cook.  Another vet was a pilot. He's had a stroke; his son pushes his cart around the aisles.  He wears a jacket on which his daughter-in-law embroidered the planes he flew.  What's that medal on your pocket?  I asked.  A purple heart.
Government surplus

No comments:

Post a Comment