| Vonnie with Aunt Marie |
Vonnie, Rose and I drove from Maryland to New Jersey to take Aunt Sister and Aunt Marie out to lunch. Although their grief at Uncle Flurry's death was close to the surface, both women teased and joked with Vonnie with light, quick responses that I haven't seen from them in years. Vonnie has been their rock (as she is so many people's rock) during the years of Uncle Flurry's illnesses. I expected to see the aunts depending on her, but was surprised and happy to see them having fun with her.
| Aunt Sister plays with Mickey, her parakeet |
I helped Marie up the stairs and through the heavy doors of the diner, and then the audiences began. The host, the waiters, the busboy, all stopped to talk to Marie and give her their condolences. As we made our way slowly to the large booth in the corner, an elderly man sitting at a table with a woman in a purple turban asked Marie how she was getting along. "We went to grade school together, " the turbaned woman told me, "I meet him here every week. He makes me laugh." They looked like they had settled into their table for hours. At another booth, a woman in her 60s was sitting with her grandson. Marie knew both the woman and the grandson, and asked about his college studies.
![]() |
| Allwood Diner, Clifton, New Jersey |
It took even longer to leave the diner that it did to go in, because Marie had thank-you notes to give to the employees who a gone to Uncle Flurry's funeral. We took Marie to her house, and then Aunt Sister to hers. They live 15 minutes apart, but will have trouble seeing each other now, because neither of them drives.
| Lookin' good at the diner |
At one point we were counting our blessings. Our children are thriving, we have good marriages, it looks like we will all be able to retire. Then Rose began. "I almost hate to say this.."
From all corners of the car came,
"Don't say it!"
"Don't say it!"
"I won't say it!"
It is very bad luck, at our ages, to talk about good health.

I love your family! The thought of driving four hours one way to visit an aging relative would never occur to most people. And waiting patiently while your aunt made the progression through the restaurant, being happy that she was being honored and loved, rather than being impatient because you wanted your meal - what good hearts you have!!
ReplyDelete