Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Rock Princess

Rock princess, 5th birthday
Morning dance
    Maxine planned to have a Rock Princess theme for her 5th birthday party.  Isn't "rock princessan oxymoron?  I think more about Rock Queens.  I wanted to go to the party as Tina Turner, but then I looked at my legs. Oh, well.
     David and I went  to La Mexicana  store in Bryan  to buy Maxine a true princess dress. The place was crammed with gowns and tiaras and silver shoes for girls having their First Communions or Quinceaneras.  The young clerk looked at the dress of Maxine's that we had brought with us, heard our description of very tall 5 year old, and suggested the perfect dress.  It even has a hoop skirt, which the clerk assured us Maxine will want to wear under all of her dresses.
Unwrapping
     Maxine woke on the morning of her birthday, put on her wings, and started dancing. After breakfast she spied the pile of presents from family. She tried to sound out the names of the givers.  Simone, now 9 months old, helped with the unwrapping.  The princess dress was  big hit.
Gym party
Taking a break from crawling
          Maxine's birthday party was held at a gym, with all 22 kids and their brothers and sisters and parents scrambling over the mats and equipment.  I've come to know the parents of her friends, and I liked seeing them again.  Simone, who is just beginning to crawl, had lots of space to roam.
Coloring the tote bag
Hard to say goodbye
     The following days saw Maxine constantly busy with the craft project kits she had gotten as birthday presents. She became absorbed in coloring a psychedelic tote bag.   I worked with her to put glitter and jewels on mirrors and tiaras and wands.  My more important job was keeping Simone occupied.  We played peek-a-boo and upside- down -baby and blow- the- hair -off -the -forehead.  When I left to fly home, Simone gave me a big, open-mouthed baby kiss on my cheek.

No comments:

Post a Comment