Saturday, November 21, 2015

Judy day

Judy being sung to
 "Wonderful things of folks are said 
   when they have passed away.
Roses adorn their narrow bed 
   over the sleeping clay.
Give me the roses while I live, 
    trying to cheer me on.
Useless are flowers that you give
  after the soul is gone,"
Janet
 Fuey sang for  Judy.  The song set the theme of the house concert that Fuey and her daughter Janet gave for Judy in our living room lat Sunday.  Judy was insistent that she wanted only her ukulele group at the concert.  "Janet's flying up from Santa Rosa to play for 5 people plus us?  And what about our friends and neighbors?" I said. But Judy was adamant, and the small group made magic in their honoring of Judy.
   Fuey played autoharp and sang the song Judy had requested, Going to Heaven in a Glad Bag.  Janet,  who made the music at our wedding two years ago, treated us to a variety of tunes. She sang some fine Kate Wolfe songs, which she is regionally famous for. She ended with Give Yourself to Love. There were not many dry eyes.      
         Janet and Fuey wanted to do the concert in spite of the death 5 days before of Fuey's husband and Janet's father Norm. Norm had dementia, but he loved Judy. When we went with Fuey to visit him at the Veterans' Home in Lebanon, he couldn't place us but he knew Judy was someone special.   How his face lit up when he saw her!
Judy with Fuey and Norm
Lemon meringue pie
    After everyone had left from the concert, good neighbor Janet came over with a lemon meringue pie for Judy. "I made two and told Kelli (her daughter) that I'd bring one to her.  She likes lemon meringue.  But Kelli said, "Give it to Judy.  She really loves them.' "
    That evening Judy and I were glowing about what a day it had been.  Judy grinned and named the third good thing,  "And Rosie's coming tomorrow."

Rosie visits

2 comments:

  1. How splendid! What a marvelous party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this post, Maggie, and it brings back wonderful memories of a magical afternoon.The love was so thick, we could feel it throughout the room.Thanks for the hospitality and yummy refreshments!

    ReplyDelete